Thursday, May 22, 2008

My Daddy Investigates Billy Thrasher Wreck


This is a tribute to Billy Thrasher. I received word this week from his sister Willene that he had passed away a few days ago. Billy's father had passed away in early April so this was a double shock to their family.
Willene sent several pictures of Billy and friends from Pittsburg, TX where my Daddy was Sheriff from 1956 to 1968. Billy's father was an outstanding photographer and helped to encourage me to pursue my interest in photography although I never went professional, it has been a lifelong hobby. Billy and I were in Troop 210 together and had many camping experiences with at least one or two years at the scout camp near Broken Bow, Oklahoma. Best thing I can say after 45 years is that I don't remember anything bad about Billy and I can't say that about everyone.
The picture below is Billy's first wreck and it looks like it was a doozie. Billy is the one leaning with his arm on the tree. Today, there would probably be 4 highway patrol, an ambulance just in case, possibly a fire truck and who knows what else. Back then, to borrow a phrase from the early history of the Texas Rangers. There was only 1 wreck so they only sent 1 person to investigate. You can google the exact wording and history of that if you are interested. If you are from Texas, you should know what the history was.
I am not sure who the other 2 boys are but the guy with the Badge is Sheriff Loveless aka Good Eye. I doubt if he gave Billy a ticket but I am sure that the lecture was worse than a ticket and I suspect that Mr. Thrasher was not too thrilled either.
My dad passed away in 1969 and I am sure he is keeping check on the boys from Pittsburg as they check in through the Pearly Gates. God blessings upon you Billy and your family.

No comments: