Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Why I Choose to Bicycle as a Senior

I started serious bicycling in the fall of 2004. I had lost almost 50 pounds on Shaklee's weight management program and decided I needed some serious exercise. Little did I know how serious exercise becomes when you live in the foothills of the northeast Georgia mountains and ride bicycles. I spent the fall and winter of 2004 training on stationary bikes in a local gym named Uptown Fitness which is owned by a friend. Then, on a warm December day, I decided it was time to take my 40 pound bicycle on a short ride. 9.7 miles later, I began to question my sanity. Well, it got better after that and in March of 2005, I got really serious and started working my way up to 60 to 70 mile rides (still on the 40 pounder).


Eventually, June arrived and I went to Columbus, GA to start my first BRAG - Bicycle Ride Across Georgia. 7 days later, I arrived at Jekyll Island, GA after riding 396 miles. I must admit, I did not ride again for almost 2 months. The picture above is yours truly at the finish in 2005.


Then, along came an offer to purchase a used Giant Cypress (less weight, better gear ratios). I started training for BRAG 2006 on that and knowing that BRAG was going to be a bit hilly, I did a couple of 3 GAP rides. In 2006, we went from Dalton to Augusta which was about 365 miles. At least, on this ride, we came through Gainesville with a layover day. I spent 2 nights in my own bed. I still wanted a better bike and in the fall of 2006, I was able to purchase a Giant OCR2 which only weighs about 20 pounds.


In 2007, BRAG started back in Columbus and we went through Ft. Benning on our first day and ended up in Savannah about 350 miles later. The OCR2 made it much easier. The picture to the right is at the end in Savannah. I continued riding after BRAG and have reached 1500 plus miles as of today. I plan to do 2007 miles in 2007.


I will be keeping you advised of my progress and some of the routes ridden.



3 GAP Ride - Western Side

http://www.allsportgps.com/Data/ActivityDisplay.aspx?tripId=67713

3 GAP Ride - Eastern Side

http://www.allsportgps.com/Data/ActivityDisplay.aspx?tripId=82944

No comments: