Monday, March 9, 2009

Weekend Century Ride(s)

Will also do a bit of catching up. This was sunrise off the back deck a few weeks ago. Have been on the run a bit with the grandkids coming down for a couple of days in mid February. Got in a 10 miler with Kayla on Sunday afternoon before they headed back home. She will be back in March for about a week to work on riding and getting ready for BRAG.

The Redbird trio or for those of you who are proper, Cardinals. Have more Bluejays and Doves than Redbirds. Will have more pictures coming since I broke out the old 35 mm with the 210 telephone lens and have been working through a 24 picture roll of film. I am doing this from a Rear Window but unlike Jimmy Stewart, I don't have a Grace Kelly although Debbie is a good substitute and I can hardly see the neighbors. Nor, am I wheelchair bound. I do have a picture though would remind you of The Birds with the crows perched in one of my backyard trees.

And then, there is the blizzard of 2009. Well, at least 40 miles south of here it sort of looked like a blizzard had gone through. The Athens, GA area got 6 to 9 inches of snow, had a lot of trees down across power lines, and people out of power for almost a week in some locations. As for us 4 miles north of downtown Gainesville, this was about it. Downtown got about an inch and just north of us got absolutely no snow.
Got in 100 miles in the 3 day weekend! I took off early on Friday and rode in the Clermont area. Rode Saturday morning and afternoon with Bernie and Palmer in the morning and then added some more miles in the afternoon solo. Sunday was punishment day with a final 33 miles with much of it against the wind. Reminds me of a Bob Segar song:
Against the wind
I'm still runnin (substitute Ridin) against the wind
Well I'm older now and still
Against the wind
The picture below was taken Sunday, March 8th. This was the windy day of the 3 days of riding. Saw this herd of cows and thought of Texas. Ought to be planning a riding trip for the Tour de Cypress in Mt. Vernon, TX in April but will have to pass this year.

No comments: