Tuesday, November 27, 2007

When Mother Nature Won't Cooperate or How I Still Get in Some Miles

Thanksgiving weekend was brutal when the desire to ride was there but Mother Nature was not willing to give me a break and maintain the global warming in this area.

Friday was nice but very windy and did not get above 50 if I remember correctly. Too much turkey will make the brain forgetful, not to mention sleepy. Saturday was cold, Sunday was cold and wet plus we helped set up the Nativity Scene at our church. Monday was rainy and had heavy fog in the PM. This all adds up to no progress on the needed 308 miles to hit my goal.

Well, when you need to be sure the feet hit the pdeals, you go indoors and ride one of these things pictured below for an hour or so at a fairly intense pace. There is no coasting so to get the miles in - I do about 10 miles per hour - you pedal constantly. I try to maintain an rpm of 70 or above with a fairly strong resistance. This is not the model my gym has but looks similar. We do have TV entertainment during the ride or I can listen to my version of an Ipod - my old little bitty FM radio with earphones. How antique!!!

No comments: