Saturday, April 5, 2008

Maxxis Georgia Cup - Gainesville, GA 2008 Saturday

Saturday, April 5th, dawned wet and rainy. While it deterred me and my Saturday morning Leisure Ride, it did not deter the Maxxis Georgia Cup time trial and road race in Pendergrass. I got there about 10:30 and the time trial was just ending. The event was held at North Jackson Elementary School just north of Pendergrass.
Link is to the race course. http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ga/pendergrass/863073259
You can tell by the sky that it was not a nice day for racing but ... Rain or shine, the race goes on.
Alvin, the Corgi from Chattanooga (if I remember correctly) was living it up with a nice travel trailer to stay in. I am sure some of the riders would have traded places with him just for a chance to get warm. Almost made me want another dog.

Some of the members of the United Community Bank racing team. Thanks to Jimmy Tallent and the bank for sponsoring this group. They are a great bunch. Would someone please give Matthew a patch for his left knee. Too many crashes have worn out those Levi racing pants.
Matthew getting ready to ride. We will see him again coming up Mabery Hill (9% grade or so). Will also see him in the Crit tomorrow.
Some of the ladies that were racing. I met one who had come here from Boca Raton, FL. She said something about no hills in FL where she lives.

Just before the start. Looks like there were a couple of hundred riders although I did not get an official number. Everything from Pros to Juniors. Based on what I saw out of some of the Juniors, I would still be trying to figure out where they went. The Pros do 3 laps of the course and others do 2 laps or 1 lap depending upon their category. What I don't know about bicycle racing could fill a small book.

Climbing Mabery Hill - not sure which group this is but from the start to here took them about an hour and the hill is about 20 miles in. I will link to the ride map later but wanted to get the pictures up. Based on my average speed, the Pros would have lapped me before I got here.
The ladies attack Mabery. I must mention that the person you can see way in the back was not one of the ladies. I was instructed not to yell "Way to go Ladies" as he got closer.

No comments: