Monday, December 31, 2007

Florida Mussels Get a Reprieve - It Rained in North Georgia

New Year's Eve started out quite foggy and did not burn off until about 11 AM. Temperature was in the 30's F which is not very inviting to riding my bicycle. I only need another 124.1 miles today to hit my goal so guess I won't quite make it.

Now if I could do the goal on an insurance year, my first ride in 2007 was not until the end of January. If my effective date was 01/28/07 to 01/28/08, I might be able to get in the 124 miles. But, I'll keep it on the 2007 year and start sooner this time to do the 2008 in 2008.

Fog shot off my back deck followed by the best news of the weekend which was 2.5 inches of rain on Friday and Sunday combined. Lake Lanier is up about 6 inches this morning but it is still not enough to rescue the mussels.



This is a view of the mountains from one of the roads in north Hall County. Rough life for the folks who live here to have to look out their back windows and see this view everyday. Or, when it snows in the mountains, see the snow on the peaks.

Shoal Creek was running at a good rate at the crossing on Hwy 52 east of Brookton. Last couple of weeks, it only had a trickle. At the point the creek disappears is a 200 to 300 foot or so drop. Good news for the Florida mussels - this water will end up in Lake Lanier and then most likely be released to keep the river level up south of the Florida state line.

No comments: